Solomon Belay Tessema, Ph.D.
Ph.D. Physics (Astrophysics) M.Sc. Physics (Astrophysics) B.Sc. Physics
- Director General and Associate Professor of Astrophysics department of Astronomy and Astrophysics Ethiopian Space Science and Technology Institute
- October 2014- 30 Oct 2016: Associate professor of Astrophysics department of Physics Kotebe Metropolitan University and Astronomy and Astrophysics Research Development department, Entoto Observatory and Research Center
- 2010- May 2014: Assistant professor of Astrophysics department of Physics Kotebe Metropolitan University
- December, 2004 – 2010 Present: Lecturer of Physics and Astrophysics, Kotebe University College department of Physics
- August, 2004 to November 30, 2004: Lecturer of Physics, Jimma University Department of Physics
- Taught Undergraduate Physics and Astrophysics courses for degree and Physics courses for Diploma student and conducted laboratory sessions
- 1992- July 30, 2002: Graduate Assistant at Ethiopian Higher Education, Educational Inspector Supervision Team Leader, School Director and Physics Teacher
Ph.D. in Physics (Astrophysics), Addis Ababa University in Collaboration with University of Gothenburg, Sweden, 2010
Dissertation Title: “ Accretion Disc around Magnetized stars, in particular Neutron stars”
Supervisor: Dr. Ulf Torkelsson (Associate Professor) University of Gothenburg, Sweden
Higher Diploma, Teaching and Research at Higher Education, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia 2007
MSc. Physics (Astrophysics), Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia, 2004
MSc. Thesis Title: “Contribution of Magnetic Dipole Radiation to Pulsar Magnetic Field Decay”
BSc. Physics, Asmara University, Eritrea (formerly Ethiopia)
Peer reviewed Publications
- Yikdem M. Gebrehiwot, Solomon B. Tessema, Malkov, O. Yu., D. A. Kovaleva , A. Yu. Sytov , A. V. Tutukov , “Star Formation History: Modeling of Visual Binaries” accepted on Journal of New astronomy, 2017.
- Yikdem M. Gebrehiwot, Solomon B. Tessema and Berdinkov, “Evolutionary orbital period Change in BH virgins” published on Astrophysics and Space Science, 2017, Vol. 362, 4, article ID 77, 9 pp.
- Gebrehiwot, Y. M.; Kovaleva, D. A.; Kniazev, A. Yu.; Malkov, O. Yu.; Skvortsov, N.Karchevsky, A. V.; Tessema, S. B.; Zhukov, A. O., “On utmost multiplicity of hierarchical stellar systems” published Baltic Astronomy, Vol. 25, p. 393-399.
- Yikdem M. Gebrehiwot, Solomon B. Tessema,and Oleg Yu. Malkov; “Fictitious and Excess Data in Principal Catalogues of Visual Binaries”, published on ASP Conference Series, 2016, Vol. 505, p 85-91.
- Solomon Belay Tessema, “Entoto Twining Telescopes: first robotic facilities in East Africa for astronomy research” proceeding published on IAU General Assembly, Meeting #29, id.2252318, 2015.
- Malkov, Oleg Yu.; Tessema, Solomon B.; Kniazev, Alexei Yu, “Binary star database: binaries discovered in non-optical bands”, Published on Baltic Astronomy, 2015, Vol. 24, p. 395-402
- Malkov, Oleg Yu; Tessema, Solomon B.; Kniazev, Alexei Yu, “VizieR Online Data Catalog: X-ray and radio sources in binaries (Malkov+, 2015)”, published on Baltic Astronomy, 2016.
- Yikdem Mengesha Gebrehiwot, Solomon Belay Tessema and, Oleg Malkov, “Study of principal Catalogues of Visual Bouble star” published on International Journal Astronomy and Astrophysics, 2015, Vol. 5, pp 267-274.
- Seblu H. Negu and Solomon B. Tessema, “Mass Transfer in Binary Stellar Evolution and its stability” published on International Journal Astronomy and Astrophysics, 2015, Vol. 5, pp 222-241.
- Oleg Yu. Malkov, Solomon B. Tessema and Alexexi Yu. Kniazev, “Binary star Database: Binaries Discovered at non-visible wavelengths” accepted to The Acta Astronomica Journal 2015 for publication
- Tessema S.B. and Torkelsson U,”Time-dependent accretion discs around magnetized stars”, submitted to The Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society Journal under peer review.
- Solomon B. Tessema and Tulu Bedada,” Launching post-graduate program at Entoto Observatory and Research Center: A need assessment survey study” published in 2014 by Entoto Observatory.
- Tessema S.B., awaiting launch: perspectives on the draft ICOC for outer space activities on African Prospective” Book chapter, Published on Observatory Research Foundation, India , 2014, PP 177-185 (https://academia.edu/15278840/AWAITING_LAUNCH_PERSPECTIVES_ON_THE_DRAFT_ICOC_FOR_OUTER_SPACE_ACTIVITIES)
- Tessema S.B. “Stability of Accretion Discs around Magnetized Stars”, published on International Journal of Astronomy and Astrophysics, 2014, vol. 4, issue 02, pp. 319-331.
- Cherkos, Alemayehu Mengesha; Tessema, S. B.,” Gravitational instability on propagation of MHD waves in astrophysical plasma”, published on Journal of Plasma Physics, 2013 vol. 79, issue 05, pp. 805-816.
- Mengesha, Alemayehu; Tessema, S. B., “Effect of viscosity on propagation of MHD waves in astrophysical plasma”, published on Journal of Plasma Physics, 2013, vol. 79, issue 05, pp. 535-544
- Tessema S.B. “Astronomy and Space Science Development in Ethiopia” MEARIM II Proceeding, published on African skies, No. 16, March 2012
- Tessema S.B. “Accretion Disc around magnetised Stars” Book, published on LAMBERT Academic Publishing, ISBN 978-38454-1736-3, July, 2011.
- Tessema, PhD Dissertation “On Accretion Disc around Magnetized stars, in particular neutron stars”, Publisher AAU, http://hdl.handle.net/123456789/1349 Addis Ababa University, department of Physics, June, 2010, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Tessema S.B., and Torkelsson U.,”The structure of thin accretion discs around magnetised stars”, published on Astronomy and Astrophysics, 2010,509, A45.
- Tessema S.B., and Torkelsson U.,”The structure of thin accretion discs around magnetised stars”, online published on arXiv: 0911.2084v1, astro-ph.HE, 11 Nov 2009
- Tessema S.B. and Torkelsson U.,”The accretion discs around millisecond X-ray pulsars”, published on Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, MNRAS, 2011, 412, 1650.
- Tessema S.B. and Torkelsson U.,”The accretion discs around millisecond X-ray pulsars”, online published on arXiv:1011.2621v1, astro-ph.HE, 11 Nov2010.
- Tessema S.B, Biressa T and Mohammed S, Aspect of Space Science in Ethiopia, abstract proceeding on World Year of Physics 2005 Conference, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia.
- Tessema, Gravitational Lensing, abstract proceeding on World Year of Physics 2005 conference, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia.
- Tessema, MSc. Thesis, “Contribution of Magnetic Dipole Radiation to Pulsar Magnetic Field Decay”, Addis Ababa University, department of Physics, June, 2004, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Under Peer review:
- Gemechu Mulate Kumessa and S.B. Tessema “Intermediate-mass Star Formation in Self- gravitating Molecular Cloud”, under peer review on Journal of Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
- Seblu Humne Negu and Solomon B. Tessema” Theoretical Model of orbital momentum and mass transfer rate in close binary stars, under peer review on Journal of New Astronomy Review
- Seblu Humne Negu and Solomon B. Tessema” Dynamical stability of mass transfer in the evolution of double white adwarf red giant binary system, under peer review on Journal of Astronomy and Geophysics.
Honors and Awards
- 2013 Won East Africa Regional Office of Astronomy Development (ROAD)
- 2013 -2020 Grant International Science Program award with East African Astronomy and Astrophysics Research Network Members twice three years each
- Nov 2012 $7000.00 USD grant award from USA Global Air Force Research Department
- May 05, 2010: IAU Award, Certificate of appreciation, Grateful recognition of commitment and outstanding contribution to the success of the international year of Astronomy 2009 in
- January, 2010: UNAWE and IAU Award, Certificate of appreciation, for contribution to the Universe Awareness Programme to inspire and educate young children in
- 2008 – 2010: Swedish Institute (SI) Research Fellowship under Guest Scholarship Programme for one and half year Award
- 2007: ICTP, Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics Summer School.
Leadership ,Research and Academic responsibilities
- November 2016- present: Director General Ethiopian Space Science and Technology Institute
- 11 May 2012 – 30 October 2016: Director, Entoto Observatory and Research Center served in various positions and committee at Kotebe University College
- October 2014 –present: Chairperson of Scientific Committee, EORC and now ESSTI
- 2012-October 2014: Members of Academic Commission Kotebe Metropolitan University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- 2012- Present Member of International Astronomical Union (IAU) and President of National Astronomy Committee (NAC)
- 2012 –present East African Research Network in Astrophysics and Space Science Steering Committee Members and one of the Founding Member
- 2010 – 2014: Entoto Observatory and Research Center Scientific Project Leader
- 2010 – 2014: Research, Publication and Consultancy Member, Kotebe Metropolitan University Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- 2010- 2014: Research coordinator department of Physics, Kotebe Metropolitan University College Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- 2013 Present: Chairman of Awi development Associates Addis Ababa Branch and Board Member
- 2009- Present: Education, Research and Public outreach coordinator, Ethiopian Space Science Society Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- 2009-2010: Chairman of the National Committee of IYA 2009 in Ethiopia
- 2008-March 2015: Member of Board of Directors of Ethiopian Space Science Society
- 2005-2008: Deputy Manager of Ethiopian Space Science Society
- 1993-1997: Educational Inspection and Supervision Team Leader, Director and Physics teacher at secondary High School
- Tel: +251-912-010792
- Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Email: email@example.com