The ESSTI Astronomy and Astrophysics Department organized the following trainings in collaboration with Arba Minch University College of Natural Sciences (Physics Department):
1) Training in Scientific Writing for post-graduate MSc and PhD students (23 of March 2022), and
2) Network for Astronomy School Education (NASE) training for secondary school teachers in physics (24-25 of March 2022). The trainer of both events was Dr. Mirjana Pović (ESSTI).
Summary of the activities carried out at Arba Minch University (AMU) in collaboration with Physics Department of the College of Natural Sciences
Reported by: Dr. Mirjana Pović (ESSTI Astronomy and Astrophysics Research and Development Department)
I. Training in Scientific Writing for post-graduate students (MSc and PhD)
Place: Arba Minch University, post-graduate building
Date: Wednesday 23 of March 2022
Main Organizer: Dr. Tesfay G/Mariam Tesfahannes (AMU) Trainer: Dr. Mirjana Pović
Participants: > 40 postgraduate (MSc/PhD) students from different departments. Training duration: 3 hours.
Content of the training:
- Writing Mechanics for Manuscript Development: Grammar, Punctuations, Specialized Vocabulary, and Style.
- Ethics in Information Usage for Manuscript Development: Citation, Referencing, Footnotes, Endnotes, Plagiarism, Paraphrasing, and Ethics.
- Journal Selection Techniques and Journal Scientometric Characteristics (Impact Factor, H-index, Journal Eigen Factor, etc.), Article Submission, Responding to Reviewers, and Handling Rejected Manuscripts.
I. NASE training for the secondary school teachers
Place: Arba Minch University, post-graduate building and main conference room.
Date: Thursday 24 – Friday 25 of March 2022
Main Organiser: Dr. Tesfay G/Mariam Tesfahannes (AMU) Trainer: Dr. Mirjana Pović
Participants: 29 secondary school teachers in physics from Arba Minch area. Training duration: 2-full days, 6 hours/day.
Content of the training:
- Introduction to astronomy and components in the Universe (theory)
- About the Network for Astronomy School Education (NASE) (introduction)
- Workshop 1: Solar spectrum and properties of light
- experiment 1.1: polarization of light
- experiment 1.2: determination of the rotational period of the Sun
- experiment 1.3: determination of the solar luminosity
4) Workshop 2: a life of a Sun and other stars
- experiment 2.1: parallax
- experiment 2.2: inverse square law
- experiment 2.3: simulation of a supernova explosion
- experiment 2.4: pulsar simulation
5) Workshop 3: astronomy beyond the visible
- experiment 3.1: building a spectrometer
- experiment 3.2: Herschel experiment- experiment 3.3: IR light with a bulb
6) Experiment with Moon craters